+ Reply to Thread

Default Alternative to acrylic gel/mediums

Hi AMIEN,

I was bereft for a while... but good to see you are back!

An American street artist uses Golden's soft acrylic gel in his mixture for pasting up artwork outside, as he says it gives the paper a more waterproof finish when it's dry.

However, I was wondering if you could suggest a cheaper alternative to artist grade acrylic soft gel?
    I use artist grade gels in my acrylic work but I'm not sure I want to spend that kind of money on the woodcut prints I paste out on the street. What exactly is 'soft gel' and where should I be looking to find a basic alternative for what I need?

Thanks

Dale

Default Alternative to acrylic gel/mediums

Quote Originally Posted by Daley View Post
    Hi AMIEN,

I was bereft for a while... but good to see you are back!

An American street artist uses Golden's soft acrylic gel in his mixture for pasting up artwork outside, as he says it gives the paper a more waterproof finish when it's dry.

However, I was wondering if you could suggest a cheaper alternative to artist grade acrylic soft gel?
    I use artist grade gels in my acrylic work but I'm not sure I want to spend that kind of money on the woodcut prints I paste out on the street. What exactly is 'soft gel' and where should I be looking to find a basic alternative for what I need?

Thanks

Dale
    Daley,

We were pretty flummoxed by the hacking of AMIEN, too! But we got our superb webmaster to work ... and we're happily back.

We agree that a gel medium is an expensive paste for the (presumably) temporary posting of prints on the street. By "on the street," do you mean just randomly for sale, or as part of a street fair of some kind?

Anyway, why does the paste have to be waterproof? Why not just use ordinary removable (also called "strippable") wallpaper paste? It's easy to make, is water-thinned, and the paper can be easily removed.
    The AMIEN Staff

Hi AMIEN,

Thanks for your response.
    I'm talking about a more permanent street art (known to others as graffiti). An example...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/22062300@N08/5320838470/

It's Shepard Fairey from your side of the pond that that swears by soft gel - he mixes it in with wallpaper paste/wheatpaste. He says it makes the prints he pastes up outside more waterproof and therefore gives them more longevity. Some of his work has lasted years out in all weather.

I was just wondering if I could get a lower grade acrylic polymer from a non-art shop outlet to try out, but I'm not sure where/what I'm looking for.

Dale

Default Graffiti, "waterproof," and cheaper alternatives

Hi AMIEN,

Thanks for your response.
    I'm talking about a more permanent street art (known to others as graffiti). An example...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/22062300@N08/5320838470/

It's Shepard Fairey from your side of the pond that that swears by soft gel - he mixes it in with wallpaper paste/wheatpaste. He says it makes the prints he pastes up outside more waterproof and therefore gives them more longevity. Some of his work has lasted years out in all weather.

I was just wondering if I could get a lower grade acrylic polymer from a non-art shop outlet to try out, but I'm not sure where/what I'm looking for.

Dale
    Daley,

Oh ... graffiti. Read all about it at Wikipedia: an evolving form, ill-defined. But all that doesn't mean much to us.

We ought to say, perhaps, that nothing is "waterproof" or "permanent." In spite of being primed with red lead oil paint (think Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco, CA), bridges still have to be repainted periodically, and woe to the engineer who doesn't think of this key maintenance issue.

Therefore "more waterproof" is sort of irrelevant to us, and "... Some of his work has lasted years out in all weather ..." doesn't mean much, either, unless you want to define the number of years and the kind of weather (North Dakota is very different from Louisiana).

For durability, if that's what you're looking for, we would not go for "lower grade" or cheaper, and we would not use a soft gel. We'd use a regular gel medium as the glue, and then we'd coat the image with an acrylic dispersion medium followed by an acrylic solution varnish coating.
    The AMIEN Staff

Hi AMIEN,

As usual, thanks very much for your reply and suggestion.

Dale

Default Thanks

Hi AMIEN,

As usual, thanks very much for your reply and suggestion.

Dale
    Daley,

You're very welcome.
    The AMIEN Staff